Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Oh, the joys of pregnancy!

The old saying goes "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade." Well, I was starting to wonder what happens when life gives you too many lemons and you don't have enough sugar to make lemonade? Yes, I'm one of those women who does not enjoy pregnancy and I'm baffled by women who do. I've now reached 28 weeks which means it's time for the dreaded gestational diabetes test. I had diabetes with my last pregnancy and when I failed the 1 hour glucose test, I thought "here we go again!" I then had to do the three hour test which leaves you starving and looking like an intravenous drug user. As I walked into my doctor's office yesterday, I was mentally saying goodbye to cookies, candy, cake, ice cream, chocolate, etc. for the next 2 1/2 months. Not to mention watching every thing you eat and testing your blood sugar four times a day. When my doctor finally came into the room (it seemed like I waited for a really long time!) she announced nonchalantly "You results came back fine." I was shocked and made her repeat what she said. Then I exclaimed, "I'm so excited!" to which she laughed. And I practically skipped out of the office to my car. Just when I thought I couldn't handle any more lemons, life gave me sugar to make lemonade. Thank goodness!

11 comments:

Rachel said...

Yes, thank goodness! That would've been terrible to have to deal with that all over again eh? In my opinion, pregnancy is bad enough as it is.
I think I'll go upstairs and drink some lemonade now, as that sounds very delicious at the moment! (thanks for bringing it up, Cree!)

Matt and Jennae Porter said...

Oh my, I had no idea that you had gestational diabetes with Carly. I did too, and to put it nicely IT SUCKS. I couldn't eat ANYTHING. Literally I ate cottage cheese 3 meals a day for 2 months. I'm so glad your tests came back normal this time around. A think a celebration is in order... maybe a trip to Cold Stone.. =)

Angela Hill said...

yay!! glad to hear you don't have to give up sweets!!!!

Starley Family said...

Oh I am so glad you don't have it this time around. I didn't know about it last time. That really stinks. You should get an award for going the last part of your pregnancy without any sweets. Seriously that's awful.

KatieB said...

congrats! my mom had it with one or 2 of hers. most of my pregnancies subsisted on sugar. i don't think i could do it again if that was taken away. no wonder your memories of pregnancy aren't rosy :)

Burnhams said...

I am so glad that the tests came back okay this time!!! Woohoo!! Happy Birthday to Carly today! I can't believe that she is 2 already!

Steve and Amanda said...

YEAH!!! That is so exciting. Congrats.

Our Bitter Sweet Life with T1D said...

You deserve a smoother sailing pregnancy after everything in your first one. Best Wishes!

Molly said...

So fun you are having a boy and I am so glad you don't have gestational diabetes again - not fun. . . I hope your pregnancy goes complication free - this time. I know mine was a ton better this last time :-) Good luck. We're excited for you.

Starley Family said...

I am not sure what I did with your email address so your blog will have to do. We are tentatively planning to head to San Diego for the ADA conference in October. I would love to come see your new baby boy if you are up for company (I tried to do the math and am figuring your due date early in Oct; so sorry if I am off). Shoot me a line at stacey2517@hotmail.com and we'll talk more details.

Burnhams said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CARISSA!!! hope you are having a good day and feeling well. Go out to a good chick flick and eat some cheesecake or something! We miss you and wish we were celebrating with you like the old days.