Thursday, April 9, 2009

Um... Let me think about it...

I must confess, I have a tendency to approach new challenges in life with a game plan that I think couldn't possibly fail or have any flaws and that I will accomplish what others have failed to do in record time. Oh, and I also think that my children are smarter than other children. Nine times out of ten I come to find out that my game plan did have flaws and I am just like everyone else.

My newest challenge: Potty Training Carly
My game plan: Flawed
My results: Day 4 and we are having success. Only two accidents today, one #1 and one #2. However, she doesn't tell me when she has to go.
My conclusions: 1. Putting your child on the potty every half an hour really does work. 2. Lots of time and patience are required. 3. Bribery works every time. 4. It's not an overnight process, more like an over weeks process. 5. Knowing when you have to go potty is a concept that must be learned.

When I asked Carly on day 2 why she didn't tell me when she has to go potty she said, "Um, let me think." And proceeded to stare off like she was thinking. When I asked her again she said, "Hold on, I'm thinking!" She never ceases to amuse me!

Just one question: When will she understand the concept of telling me when she has to go?

7 comments:

AJ said...

Who knows?! Jeff has been "potty trained" for like 8 months now but still rarely tells us he has too. We'll just see him doing the dance and make him go. He rarely has an accident but it is a bit aggravating to always say "Jeff, go!" He just has to get it in his head that whatever he is doing will still be there when he comes back from the potty. I don't think he gets that yet.

Aaron and Melissa said...

Oh, what to say about potty training???? I thought I could get Zack potty trained before this baby comes, but that is NOT going to happen. He knows what to do and will do it when I tell him usually (to get a gum ball), but he won't tell me on his own. Of course, he WILL tell me after, "change me Mom!" With my other kids, it just clicked one day and they wanted to be "BIG." I am just waiting for Zack to care more! Good luck!

Unknown said...

i am still in the process of potty training josh. i think its gonna being a life long battle :-) Carly is the cutest little thing, last time when I saw her I said "carly! What were you for halloween?!" and she said "oh don't ask me silly questions" haha I thought "WHAT?!?!" haha she is hilarious.

Angela Hill said...

when she damn well feels like it!!! good luck, you're braver than I am. I still haven't dared to go there with Mac yet.

Jen Richards said...

Good luck with the potty training! I am DREADING going through that. Sounds like you are doing a great job though :) Glad to see you guys are doing well.

Rachel said...

Seriously Cree, she sounds just like her mother!!
And by the way, just be glad she's even gone in the potty at all, Dallin isn't even remotely that close!!

Molly said...

I haven't checked out your blog for a while - so I didn't even know Tyler underwent surgery. I am so glad to hear that he is home and doing well. You are such a trooper! And I am impressed that you potty trained Carly shortly thereafter - that was a nightmare for us!! Take care.